To anyone who somehow stumbles upon this site

I use this to write short reviews for albums that I've heard since the beginning of 2007. The reason for this is that I am a very reflective person and I enjoy looking back on events in my life and because music is very important to me, this is just one way I can keep track. The purpose of this blog is not necessarily to provide information for other people or to practice journalism, but rather to provide a service to myself later on. If anyone happens to stumble upon this site and potentially absorb anything written here, that's perfectly fine, but please be aware that this is not my primary objective.

Monday, December 31, 2007

The Few, The Proud, The Pretentious: 2007 In Music

If you're looking to be told what's hip or what to buy, you're in the wrong place. The vast majority of best-of-2007 lists on the web look exactly like this: Radiohead, Jay-Z, The Arcade Fire, Amy Whinehouse, LCD Soundsystem, Feist, Fall Out Boy, The White Stripes and Kanye West. Anyway, I'm not Rolling Stone, so instead of insulting your intelligence, I'm just going to grade the albums I've listened to this year.

Grade: A

The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour
Hands down the best indie band out there right now. Leaving Propagandhi was the best move John K. Samson ever made. Some of the best songs of the year are on this album and I've definitely worn this one out. After making us wait all these years, they certainly didn't let me down.

A Wilhelm Scream - Career Suicide
I don't say this about music I like very much, but this album thoroughly pummels. These guys have become one of my favorite bands and while their lyrics are kind of awkward every once and awhile, everything else about this album is solid. I've listened to this one way too much.

Circa Survive - On Letting Go
My favorite album from 2005 was hard to top, and while they didn't quite match it, they came pretty close. While catchier and heavier, different doesn't mean worse here. All of their music takes me to another world, and as down-to-earth as I am, that has to mean something.

Dear And The Headlights - Small Steps, Heavy Hooves
This band came out of nowhere and is a shining example of what mainstream "indie" rock should sound like. In fact, this is the closest I can get to that kind of music without puking. That's a good thing, I think.

Against Me! - New Wave
Possibly the best sell-out record I've ever heard. I tried so hard to hate it, but it's just a great album, especially after the relative disappointment of their last attempt. But don't be surprised if they can't do better next time because it's likely all downhill from here.

Hot Cross - Risk Revival
I never got into their older material, but they made an abnormally catchy post-hardcore record here. It's a shame they broke up soon afterwards, as I had predicted that their next album could have been a masterpiece.

Bad Religion - New Maps Of Hell
Even without breaking much new ground, Bad Religion is still the only band with a 30 year long back catalogue that I love every minute of. And their live show is unbelievable considering their age. I can't leave my all-time favorite band out of the cream of the crop.



Grade: B

The New Amsterdams - At The Foot of My Rival
I'm convinced that Matthew Pryor can do no wrong. Even after the Get Up Kids, he still churns out great music. Few bands do mellow, emotional, indie (some times folk-) rock better than the New Ams.

Sundowner - Four One Five Two
The smoother voice of the Lawrence Arms picks up an acoustic guitar and gives it his best shot. I like his voice a lot, but his vocal are sometime more halfhearted than they should be. In any case, it's fun to hear someone play punk songs with an acoustic guitar.

The Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim
This is another band that came out of nowhere, but it's a really fun record that's kind of a punk rock cross between early Against Me! and Bruce Springsteen. I found it late it the year, but it's still one of the most enoyable records of 2007.

Minus The Bear - Planet of Ice
Electronic indie rock sounds pretty decent when the keyboards and sound effects aren't beating you over the head. The first half is better than the second, but it's a good listen. Good music to relax to.

Smoke Or Fire - This Sinking Ship
While this album's not epic, I still like every song. It's catchy, heartfelt, somewhat poppy punk rock. Exactly what you'd expect from Fat Wreck Chords.

Ted Leo And The Pharmacists - Living With The Living
Their last album was near perfect, so it's only natural to fall a little behind. Ted Leo is great and he's got some powerful tracks on this one, but something's missing that used to be there. If you drop the last two songs from this one, it's probably an 'A'.

Bayside - The Walking Wounded
The former Alkaline Trio wannabes have made a name for themselves and they've gotten pretty good at it. Emotional, but signigicanly less self-pitying than former releases, this one is pretty good for being on Victory Records.

Crime In Stereo - Is Dead
A strange record that from a melodic punk band that has almost gone soft. While this sounds more like Brand New than they probably intended, it's actually better than the music they are best known for. I appreciate that some bands can change without sounding terrible.

Fake Problems - How Far Our Bodies Go
This is a really fun folk-punk band that puts on a great live show. While the music sometimes drags, it's still a great listen and makes you want to rock out hillbilly style. Believe it.



Grade: C

Hot Rod Circuit - The Underground Is A Dying Breed
The music and vocal arrangements on this one are generally really cool, but the lyrics and repetition kill it dead. Improve those two elements, and this is a solid record.

The Receiving End Of Sirens - The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi
Their debut was fantastic, so it pains me to see this album go nowhere. There are some pretty good songs here, but you can't attempt to sound epic two albums in a row. They need to come back to earth and get me excited again.

Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty
Everyone loves this, but I'm not sure. I like this band, but it's hard to really keep track of their songs. It's good, hard, rock music, but I generally like to know which songs are which.

The Methadones - This Won't Hurt
While sometimes enjoyable, pop-punk at it's best is still mediocre. I enjoy listening to these guys, but the content is lacking. I guess that's what pop-punk is all about right?

From Autumn To Ashes - Holding A Wolf By The Ears
After losing their vocalist, I'm surprised at how well they managed to survive. Unfortunately this album is too constant in its sound and delivery to be as memorable as their previous release.

Dropkick Murphys - The Meanest of Times
I'm pretty indifferent about this one. Yeah, they're still around and sure, they make enjoyable music. But at this point, it all sounds the same to me. Their best is behind them.

Thursday - Kill The House Lights
This is pretty decent for a collection of unreleased tracks. Nothing fantastic here, but I enjoy listening to alternate takes and what some of their songs could have been.



Grade: D

Leftover Crack/Citizen Fish - Deadline
I didn't expect much from this split, but I used to really like Leftover Crack. Unfortunately, I didn't really care for any of the songs. Either I'm over them, or they just didn't care with this one.

Motion City Soundtrack - Even If It Kills Me
I really enjoyed their past two albums, and while this one is well-produced and seemingly heartfelt, it just doesn't have any claws. I tried to love it but the lyrics are trite and the music is unremarkable.

The Unseen - Internal Salvation
I loved this band as a teenager, but in retrospect, our relationship seems only halfhearted. This album doesn't have a single standout track and I don't think that's normal.

Pierce The Veil - A Flair For The Dramatic
One of the biggest disappointments of the year. From a unique blend of genres to generic emo-core, this album kinda broke my heart. Another solid band goes down the tubes.

American Steel - Destroy Their Future
I never heard of this band before, although they used to be Communique. In any case, if there is any hype around them, I guess I just don't get it. If it's punk, then it's just plain boring.

Hopesfall - Magnetic North
What do you say about the band you didn't expect much from in the first place? Take a guess. They've lost their touch and now it's just getting sad.

Anti-Flag - A Benefit For Victims Of Violent Crime
I know this is supposed to be a benefit CD, so I feel kind of bad about it, but the B-side material mostly sucks. Also, the half-live scheme worked for Mobilize, but not so much here.



Grade: F

Armor For Sleep - Smile For Them
This band was mediocre before, but I still kind of liked them. The pathetically terrible lyrics just ruin any hopes they had of making a decent record. I just can't take it seriously.

Chiodos - Bone Palace Ballet
I can't remember why I liked their last record, but the vocals are like nails on a chalkboard and the content is abysmal. And those obnoxious song titles really have to go because it just proves that your songs mean nothing.

Saves The Day - Under The Boards
These guys used to be kings of the emo scene, but their depressing, poorly written, embarassing lyrics won't fly anymore. These boys need to grow up already or call it quits. It makes me cringe.

The Fall of Troy - Manipulator
These guys are amazing musicians but this was a huge disappoinment. Their last record was nuts, but even with all the variety, this one falls flat on its face. Boring and uncreative.


To be fair to some of the albums that didn't really make the grade, I feel like I should mention that many of them were placed so low as a result of failed expectations. The most disappointing part about the albums in the last three groups is that I thought that most of them were going to be a lot better. Don't get me wrong, some of them flat out sucked unsurprisingly, but I just couldn't let that go unsaid for the others.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

January 16, 2008 at 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

April 21, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home