To anyone who somehow stumbles upon this site

I use this to write short reviews for albums that I've heard since the beginning of 2007. The reason for this is that I am a very reflective person and I enjoy looking back on events in my life and because music is very important to me, this is just one way I can keep track. The purpose of this blog is not necessarily to provide information for other people or to practice journalism, but rather to provide a service to myself later on. If anyone happens to stumble upon this site and potentially absorb anything written here, that's perfectly fine, but please be aware that this is not my primary objective.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Methadones - This Won't Hurt

LABEL:
Red Scare
GENRE:
Punk
RELEASE:
July 10, 2007
LENGTH:
33 min 9 sec
RATING:

The Methadones are somewhat of a paradox. Despite being commonly categorized as pop-punk by fans and critics, they are unlikely to have much mainstream success like so many other acts in the genre. Their music isn't usually political in nature and their sound is pretty bouncy, but Dan Vapid's voice has always lacked that little extra something that brings other pop-punk bands to fame. Not to mention that the lyrics are generally depressing and the vocals have always sounded like they were coming out of a tin can, but that was part of the band's charm. All of their albums have been relatively similar, with the only the noticeable changes being increasing quality in production. You won't hear anyone calling The Methadones fresh or groundbreaking, but they have always succeeded in their element.

When I first popped in This Won't Hurt, I wasn't expecting any deviations from the band's course, but to my surprise, it didn't sound quite the same. The lyrical content hasn't really changed, and neither has the musical style, but with this newest effort comes at least three noticeable "improvements". While Vapid's voice still has that familiar hum to it, the reverberation effect it has always seemed to posses has decreased significantly. It's still there and probably always will be, but I bet more people will find this band tolerable than ever before as a result of this change. The only other discernible difference is pretty much in the same vein. The music is catchier than it has been in the past, but not so much that longtime fans will have to worry about the band's direction. I don't know if these enhancements were intentional or if they are just artifacts of better production. Regardless of the reason, their existence is a welcome change to a familiar formula. So what about a third modification? How about... an acoustic song?! Correct me if I'm being ignorant about this, but I don't recall ever hearing The Methadones perform anything acoustically. It's called "I Believe," and it's actually a pretty good song, but it sure as hell comes out of nowhere.

Like I said, don't expect any lyrical revelations on this record, but there's definitely a handful of tracks that I feel like I might be able to share with somebody without them falling asleep. "Poor Little Rich Girl," "Street In My Hometown," and "Where Did You Hide The Sun" come to mind. However, the definite winner in the pop department is "Turning Up The Noise," which is easily the catchiest song they've ever written, boasting gang vocals that feature the very title of the track. With each new album, The Methadones inch one step closer to what I can only assume is the goal of being the best unpopular pop-punk band ever, and This Won't Hurt is a clear indication of that progress. While the album is quite enjoyable and the production value is the best it's ever been, the lack of innovation and Vapid's tendency to fade into the background as an album progresses are starting to leave me wondering if they will ever reach that goal. I know that many will applaud their consistency, but I just can't brag too hard about a band that puts out practically the same record repeatedly. This Won't Hurt is a step in the right direction and the band is ever so close to making an album that makes me want to call them one of my favorites. Maybe next time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Agreed. Not too lyrically creative, but entertaining nonetheless.

November 2, 2007 at 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home